Monday, May 21, 2012

unlucky and lucky

What a weekend...

Friday afternoon Miss M and her mum came over for what seems to be a regular Friday afterchool cuppa, something I look forward to. The girls play and we get to chat, always SO much to catch up on and have a few laughs over. We were getting into my fabric stash when I heard something that didn't sound quite right, sounded very much like 'Go and get my mum' and saw a very shaken Miss M at the back door and heard the screams from the garden. Amelia on her back, wimpering and screaming but not crying (does that make sense?). I tried to work out what had happened then I saw her elbow and thought 'yeah, no, don't think it should be that shape'.

Managed to get Amelia to stand upright, more screams, walking, more wimpering, inside and put a sling on her. How on EARTH I knew we had a sling, or where it was is beyond me...

Miss M's Mum was busy locking up the back door and I was grabbing anything I thought we would need, jackets, shoes, handbag and phone. Then I went on auto pilot. Had to get her to a Dr and fast. NO idea how to get to the big hospital, just knew there was a Dr at the bottom of the hill and how to get there. I knew there would be parking so that is where I headed.

I rang Stef en route and asked if he could confirm the Dr's did x-rays. Then he rang me back and I filled in the blanks. He left work and I cancelled our 2nd batch of afternoon tea visitors...

To cut a long story short, a little bit of waiting, a lot more wimpering, some apologies (no idea why she thought she was in trouble!), an x-ray or 6 and an enormous amount more of screaming, we headed to the hospital. 2 hours later we were heading home with a suspected broken elbow in a backslab pending more x-rays and a visit to the ortopaedic surgeon this week with the Dr's words going around in my head 'I don't think the end of the humerous bone should really look like that'

 Finally she can see the funny side to the collar and cuff, it has to be removed each time she gets dressed or undressed so, I have called it her horn... she was being quite silly tonight and laughing, first time in 3 days we have had a smile...

Going to school proved to be a bit of a challenge in the clothing department. Tunic was easy but the shirt wasn't, the sleeves are too narrow. I decided to unpick the sleeve of one of her blouses (which she can't wear next year as they won't be 'current') and made her a kimono wrap style top to keep her shoulder and top of her arm warm. Works really well! I should hem it but need to buy some yellow cotton...
 Then there was another issue with the blazer hanging off one shoulder issue and not being able to wear a jumper. So, for warmth, I made this ponch and finged it with gold tiny pom poms. I totally winged this, made it up as I went along but you know what, it works, she is warm and that is all I care about!
Unlucky little girl, lucky her mum is a bit crafty though!

No comments:

Post a Comment