Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On a (knitting) Roll!

Well and truly... I am not a knitter, knitting bores me, it takes too long and you have to pay too much attention to it, you use the one colour for ages and whatever you are knitting seems to take forever to grow. My mother has tried, I even think my Grandmother has tried to convince me to keep it up. I love knitted things, I wish I could stick it out but I can't...

That was until I discovered a wonderful wool display at Lincraft with a video demo playing of how to use the product... The product - Elicia Wool. $9.95 a ball. You can pretty much only make a scarf. Scarves are easy, and boy this is quick! No chance of getting bored with this little project. 6 stitches (they say 5 but I have done 6), stocking stitch, 4 hours, done!

This was the first 2 balls of wool that came home, one for Amelia and one for me. 2 pairs of needles? Yep, Amelia thought she'd be able to cope with this sort of knitting...

So I 'cast on' and set about knitting... this was about 10 minutes in...
This is what the 'wool' looks like...
 And this is about 20 minutes in, it kept my attention because it grew so quickly...



This one is mine, it was the second one I did  A khaki colour, really pretty. This is a 5 stitch one and really long. Had loads of compliments about it!

Then there was one for Jess our much loved babysitter who loved it!

 One for my very good KNITTER friend Lisa C!! I almost felt embarrassed giving this to her as her knitting skills are sensational and she has whipped up a few beautiful gifts for me, she buys super expensive lush wool (this is acrylic) and tackles complicated patterns... but she loved it! I think... :-)

 One for Aunty Coral. A pale lavendar and white.

This is all Amelia's doing, we went back to Lincraft at Belrose and she went straight for the display while I was looking at books and picked out more balls of wool, as she put them into my basket she said 'this one is for Lisa, this one for Jess and this is for Aunty Coral. I'd prefer a pink for Aunty Coral but there isn't one bright enough for her' Who is this person??!

Then on Monday, filling in a few hours while Stef slept we popped into another Lincraft at Dee Why and wow, what a great selection they had! Another 5 balls later....



This is also for Aunty Coral, more of her pink apparently.

5 stitches takes me about 7 hours to knit, 6 stitches I can bang them out in 4. (Corals had 6, then 7 and 8 for a period of a few rows, then back to 7... Too funny but if I hadn't told you you wouldn't have known) I am going to try using a portion of this wool as part of the godesses costumes for the Tempest Shakespear play at school, Might have some convincing to do but I think it will work.

I have 3 more to do, one for one of the school mums - in red, one for Grandma - in a deep caramel/brown, and I have a black ball who's destination is unknown...

I hope to get the machine out soon, really soon, I am having serious withdrawals!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE them! Can't believe how many you had made.. wowsers. Thanks again for mine, love it so much and have been back through the books tonight picking out some patterns :-)

    ReplyDelete