Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas Presents and stitching heaven!

It has been a while... there is a good reason...

Stef's mums sewing machine hasn't been kind to me of recent months. Unfortunately the machine was in the car when they had their accident so took a mighty wollop. When I didn't use it for a few weeks the stitches were less than straight and the bottom thread would always look like a dogs breakfast. I'd get it serviced, sew for a few weeks and have to put it away for a few weeks and then I'd get it out again and off for a service it would need to go. Pouring my sob story out to a lady at the new Hobby Sew store at Top Ryde she suggested that perhaps the machine would be better off being retired from duty. With a service averaging at $80, a few of those would pay for a basic machine.

As luck would have it... my baby brother (he's 40) wanted some cymbals for his drum kit for Christmas. Mummy and Daddy like to treat us evenly so they put the same amount of money into what I would like and I decided with all the fabric I had been buying a sewing machine would be fabulous. With a special offer and free gifts for Christmas orders I went on a bit of an expidition and decided on this machine.
Limited Edtion Breast Cancer Janome 5027LE
Mum and Dad put money towards it and Stef bought the rest. What a nice husband :-)

Having a blanket stitch on the machine for applique it will make the next quilt easier. I have actually already used it on the planet panels for a gift for a special 7 year old and it was SO easy and SO fast. With the machine I got a free craft box, some lovely sharp scissors (don't sharp scissors make a difference??!!), a walking foot and a 1/4" seam foot, what a bargain! There is a good couple of hundred dollars in extra value just there!

In preparation for machines impending arrival I pre-washed  a heap of fabric and come Boxing Day with a tired kid and a weenie hang over and no desire or need to go anywhere I started cutting things out...

Amelia has been asking me for some summer nighties and we bought fabric ages ago to do it at Spotlight. I made nightie A from Simplicity 2831 for her. I tandem sewed 2 but have only finished one so far.



In these pics they need the buttons sewn on the front and a few other finishes. I am waiting on some binding to arrive for the green one but I finished the pink one yesterday...



And had to be worn to bed tonight!

I have also made this one for me a  Big Top but it was too much like a maternity top so I did a dodgy pin and tuck to make it a little more fitting. The jury is still out on what it looks like on, I might ask a friend later this week...

Fabric is from Kathy Davis Journey collection

I have also cut this out and am almost finished it, again waiting on binding. This was one of those 'good idea at the time things' where I got some paper, a favourite top, and made my own pattern up. I am stuffing up the front of it but it might come good!

From Anna Marie Horners Little Folks Voile collection
I am also in the middle of sewing a dress for my cousins daughter Lucy for her birthday in July (getting in EARLY to make sure it isn't a last minute dash like the Christmas gifts) again using this gorgeous soft voile from Anna Marie Horner. It isn't going to be easy to part with the dress but it is very sophisticated and will not look out of place in Paris at all. Lucy has dark hair and almost black eyes, she will look stunning in this dress. I hope I haven't made it too big.

Then I am not sure what I will tackle next. I have requests for more nighties (how many does a kid need, seriously!!) and I know when we do a try on of the dress Amelia will want one as well. I have a denim skirt cut out ready to sew but had some issues with getting the stitch right. I invested in some denim needles today so maybe that is the next thing to put to bed. I also want to make some things from the tutorials I found on various websites and I want, I want, I want....!!!! In a few months time when we are moved, unpacked and have NO money for anything I will get all my projects completed.

There is some fabric arriving this week for some cushion covers for the new house, and a couple of patterns too. And tucked away at the top of my cupboard is a pattern and material for Cinderella and Snow White dress ups... I am quietly looking forward to trying my hand at those... Big surprise for Amelia.

Until the next 'finished' can be posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment